Monday, April 12, 2010

  I received this invitation to walk a Labyrinth. A church was going to have a large canvas Labyrinth for just one day. I had never seen one before. I entered the church and the lights were dimmed and people were quietly walking on this strange looking path. Some of the walkers had their Rosary Beads in their hands and some had prayer shawls. It was very quiet and soft music that seemed to be Celtic was playing. Thus I began my very first Labyrinth experience.
  Since that very first experience several years ago, I have encountered several Labyrinths along the way. If you are in Santa Fe, New Mexico, you will find a lovely one at the St. Francis Cathedral. It’s right in front so you cannot miss it. I’ve been told there is also one at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. But if you scout around your community you may be surprised to find a church , park or retreat center with one. When we were traveling in Alaska we found a wonderful Labyrinth at the Catholic Diocese Center in Fairbanks. Pictured below is a Labyrinth in Chappell Hill, Texas.

  I grew up in Oregon near the Pacific Ocean. I used to walk the beaches and think about “stuff” as I wandered down the beach. It was a great place for prayer. I cannot help but think of the “Foot Prints in the Sand” Poem. Walking a Labyrinth has the same affect on me. I find my stress is immediately lowered as I find my way along the trail.
  Someone told me that Labyrinths became popular in Europe in the early years of Christianity.  Many people made Pilgrimages to the Holy Land.  The Labyrinth served as a Pilgrimage to those who could not make it to Jerusalem.
  There is a wealth of information about Labyrinths on the Web.  Check out: http://www.gracecathedral.org/community/labyrinths/   If you cannot find a Labyrinth to walk or if you are unable to navigate over a rocky path, don’t give up. There are wooden finger Labyrinths that offer a similar experience.
  From Caroline Adams, "Your life is a sacred journey. And it is about change, growth, discovery, movement, transformation, continuously expanding your vision of what is possible, stretching your soul, learning to see clearly and deeply, listening to your intuition, taking courageous challenges at every step along the way. You are on the path... exactly where you are meant to be right now... And from here, you can only go forward, shaping your life story into a magnificent tale of triumph, of healing of courage, of beauty, of wisdom, of power, of dignity, and of love."

No comments:

Post a Comment